Sunday

Jamie Oliver's Recipe - Beef Strips Stew


Today I made Beef Strips Stew based on Jamie Oliver's (I love him) recipe.

Ingredients needed : 

- olive oil
- 2 red onions
- 3 carrots
- 3 celery stems
- 4 garlic cloves
- a few twigs of fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 small handful of dry cep mushrooms
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 kg of beef strips
- salt and pepper
- 2 cans of 400g of tomatoes
- and it should be 2/3 bottle of Chianti wine but I accidentally added some kind of Cherry...

The recipe says that I should cook it in the oven but because I didn't have deep enough baking tin I decided to cook it on a gas-stove.
First thing you have to do is to heat up a few spoons of olive oil in a pot. Turn the heat down and throw onion, carrots, celery, garlic , rosemary, bay leaves, mushrooms and cinnamon in and cook for 5 minutes. All the vegetables should be chopped into thick pieces. Don't peel the garlic.

Cut the meat into 5 cm squares. Sprinkle the meat with some flour mixed with salt and pepper. Add the meat to the vegetables in the pot. Add in tinned tomatoes, Cherry (which should be Chianti but as I said before I made a mistake), salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and cook on a low heat for around 2 hours. Just in case I stirred the stew every 15 minutes. You know it's ready when the meat is really soft.

At the end remove the cinnamon and rosemary.
Even though I used Cherry instead of Chianti the stew tasted delicious. The sweetness of Cherry evaporated during cooking.


This is a delicious and healthy meal which goes great with buckwheat. I would really enjoy it on a colder evening surrounded by my family.


Hope you'll try it and enjoy it as much as I did ! 

Butterfingered Chef




No comments:

Post a Comment